Monday, March 4, 2013

How this is going to work

Hello again. Since I am the busy mom of four little ones, I guess the main purpose of this blog is to entertain, but also to inform. I've been asked by a number of people how I do it.  Well the honest answer is I don't know exactly. 

But over the years and as more children have come along, Brent and I have stumbled upon some tips and tricks that work well for our family. They keep the ship on course if you will. 

So I am going to try to post a parenting tip, organizing tip, or recipe at least once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. But my hope is that through my journal of our daily lives you will find tips to keep your own stress level down, or at least thank your lucky stars that it's me and not you! 

So, for week one, March 4, 2013 I will start with this:

BE CONSISTENT!!!!!!!!!

That is my NUMBER ONE tip for ALL parents of ANY age kids. 

I have found when my kids get out of their daily routine, that is when I am ready to pull my hair out. Kids HATE change. They may not say it or act like it or even know it, but they HATE it. So try to avoid it. 

When major changes must happen (i.e. move, new baby, death in the family, changing jobs, changing beds, etc.) try to keep the rest of life as routine as possible. This way at least the children have a schedule to look forward to for solice. They really do find comfort in a routine. 

Once you find a routine that works for you, STICK WITH IT!!! Don't get lazy after a few weeks (as I often do) or change it up because you are bored. Kids thrive on it and NEED it. Ever wonder why teachers always had the same schedule year after year, class after class? It's because children learn better when they know what to expect. They are curious little creatures and are dying to know what their future holds for them.

Luckily for us, their parents, they only care about the coming minutes or hour or even day but never much more than that. So I would suggest if you are new to the routine thing, sit down, write one out and see what happens.

You will immediately feel more organized and I bet a bit of stress will dissipate. Talk to your kids about the new routine. Ask if there is anything they'd like included (special bedtime story each night, or one night a week where they pick dinner, perhaps?) and then go with it as a family. Remain united and stick with it. 

You'll all be much happier and rested! 

That's my tip for the day! Have a great night everyone. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment